latest news
Funding your therapy through your private health insurance policy.

If you have private health insurance, it is quite possible that you can fund many or all of your counselling sessions through your health insurance policy.
We work with a number of medical insurers including, Cigna, PruHealth, Aviva, Simply Health, Vitality and WPA.

If you’d like to start the process of funding your therapy through your private health insurance policy, contact us on or call 0800 779 7840 and we’ll be glad to help you out.

How do I get my insurance to pay for counselling?

Usually, you will need to contact your insurer (so you’ll need your membership number or policy number handy when you call them). These are the questions you need to ask:
  • Does my policy cover counselling / psychotherapy?
  • What is the process for starting counselling funded by my policy?
  • How many sessions can be funded by my insurance?
  • How do I get an authorisation code?
  • Do I need to give you the provider number of my therapist?
  • Is there any excess on my policy (if so, how much)?
  • Is there any annual limit or financial limit to my policy? If so, will any other medical bills be deducted from this total if I am having any other medical treatment around this time?
  • What are the next steps?
  • What is the billing procedure?
  • Is there a renewal date for my policy each year and if so, is there a new funding allowance for counselling / psychotherapy each year?

If there is an excess on your policy, this usually means that you will need to pay Rivers Assist for the initial fees, up to the total of the excess. After that, the remaining fees should be paid by your insurer.

Rivers Assist usually invoices your insurer directly for the session fees. So ordinarily, you will not be required to pay and then reclaim. But different insurance companies and different types of policy can vary, which is why we recommend that you ask the questions above, so you are completely clear about the cover that is available to you.

We help our clients set up insurance funding all the time, so we are familiar with the process. You may need to get a provider number from Rivers Assist or in relation to a particular therapist. Just get in touch and we will help you sort this out, so you can get going with your counselling sessions.

The authorisation code – the magic number You will need to give Rivers Assist your authorisation number for counselling. This is what enables us to invoice your insurer. You will also need to give us your full name, your insurance company name, your policy number, the authorisation code, as well as your home address and date of birth. This information ensures that the invoices are processed correctly.
Rivers Assist on Twitter!
Click here to follow us on Twitter.
Click here to contact us with your enquiry